In the constantly evolving, ever increasing realm of theories, techniques, and gadgets to assist the multitasking businessperson striving to prioritize and keep current, the most obvious tool is most often overlooked: Your e-mail inbox is the perfect to-do list.
It is the one-stop-shop for establishing priorities, tracking input, recording responses with time and date automatically displayed. Your Franklin Planner, your mobile smart phone, and all the other tools of the trade – put them aside. Your inbox is now your to-do list.
Here are 5 tips on why your email is your to-do list
- Never delete an original message – keep it before you until it has been dealt with, then move it to a folder.
- If you might need it, don’t delete it. – Web-based e-mail provides a relatively permanent method of record keeping.
- Conversation threads become your memory-jogger
- Sent items provide an exact record (proof) of your transactions
- Contact Manager keeps business signatures (spelling, title, contact info) at your fingertips..
The final and most important reason to use your inbox as a your to do list is the fact that it is virtual tool. If you use a tool like gmail, yahoo mail or any other web based email your “to do” list can be accessed from any internet connection without carrying around that huge day timer. Give it a shot!